Monday, January 10, 2011

Crutches

I have always wanted to break my leg.

Which is really masochistic and morbid, but I really really want to break my leg.

And I can't really tell you why, because I don't know either.  I'm a wuss and cry over stubbing my toe, but somehow I pretend that I'm pain-proof and that breaking my leg would be a cool experience.  Goes to show you I can have some dumb moments.  Often.

Aside from telling you I have mental issues, I do have a point.  I was perusing (YAY!  I spelled it right the first time!) my friend Mollie's blog (momconformist.com) and found a blog she wrote when she was pregnant with her second child.  She said, "God has been faithful to me for as long as I can possibly remember. He has never once failed me. And He isn’t going to either. He provides for all of my needs (and the needs of my precious family). So, why do I have such issues with faith? I long for “faith like a child.” I long to rest comfortably in His promises."

I remember when I was a kid, growing up in church, I had a faith that never faltered because I didn’t have everything around me in my world working against me and my faith. Once I became a teenager, out of no where it seemed, I started doubting God’s existence and power and love. Why? No clue. All I know now is that I wish I could go back to that time when I believed it all without doubt and never doubted or distrusted God and His awesomeness. It’s a lot harder now, and I’m sure it’s going to get even harder, but I know that God will never leave me and He will help me every step of the way.

Kind of like when you break your leg, you can't go anywhere without crutches to carry the weight you can't carry yourself.  God is like those crutches.  We all have gimpy souls and spiritual lives that can't really do anything on their own.  We all need God to wrap His loving arms around us and help us through our struggles.  Even if we forget He's there or doubt that He can help us, He'll still be there for us.  Like that Footprints thing!  Where there are two sets of footprints, then when the terrain is harder and steeper, one set disappears and God says, "I was carrying you, my child!"  I've always found that corny, but it's a good example, anyhow.

When I was 7-ish, I broke the 4th bone in my right foot, but I didn't get a legit cast or crutches.  Instead, I got a thingymajigger that I don't know the name of and my daddy carried me around everywhere.  When I couldn't do something (which was practically everything), he helped me with his big-strong-man-ness.  God uses His... totally-freeking-awesomeness-and-love to help us when we can't do it alone.

One of my new favorite life quotes is, "Snuggle in God's arms.  When you are hurting, when you are lonely or left out, let Him cradle you, comfort you, reassure you of His all-sufficient power and love." (Kay Arthur)

What a great Daddy (:

Do you have any awesome stories of broken bones and crutches or broken sprits and God-crutches?

<3 Warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment