Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Rain Boots and Jesus

This post is about a week or so late.  My bad.  I hadn't even thought of the idea until today.

Let me start out my usual way: with a lovely anecdote from my own life.

The week before Christmas, my family and I went down to Orlando, Florida for 4 days to hang out at DisneyQuest (a 5-floor Disney-themed arcade).  The second day we were at DisneyQuest, my mom and I stole away after lunch to go stroll through Downtown Disney and walk through the stores (of course, everything was way too overpriced to even consider buying).  My Disney fetish was well sated after that day, I assure you.  My mom even told me she was so glad I didn't have a thing for Disney when I was little, or she would have been in big trouble.

One store that wasn't Disney themed caught my eye.  It was called Little Miss Matched.  In the windows were mannequin legs with socks on and NONE OF THE SOCKS MATCHED.  If you know me, then you know that I also have a thing for socks.  I received 16 pairs of socks this Christmas.  I enthusiastically tugged my mom across the street and into the store.  This ultimately resulted in my mom buying me a pair of half-price leg warmers (that didn't match :D).

The day after Christmas, I found LMM's website and looked up a pair of rain boots that I loved that were $60 in the store so I could show them to a friend and I discovered that they were only $19.95!  With free ground shipping until the 31st!  Needless to say, I begged my mom on hands and knees to get them for me, and she did.

I have been tracking them via FedEx for days, and they were supposed to come on the 6th.

BUT THEY CAME TWO DAYS EARLY.

TODAY!

The excitement I felt when I found that package on our porch... well, let's just say I haven't taken them off or stopped smiling since I got them out of the box.

Once I had gotten over my initial excitement and happiness, I sat back in a chair to read a book, and when I glanced at my boots, I was reminded of Christmas.

Not like Santa-tree-presents-food-elves Christmas, but the REAL Christmas.

When Jesus was born, His people had been waiting hundreds and hundreds of years for Him to come and save them.  Some lost hope that He was ever coming, some stayed hopeful all the while.  And when He arrived, a lot of people were disappointed.  A poor boy born to an unmarried woman and a carpenter in a barn?  THAT'S our savior?  I expected a king!  A powerful man born into a castle!  Sure, He was born in a manger, but He still saved us. Hallelujah!  That God sent His Son in the humblest way possible is just one of the many cool things He does.

Even now, we are waiting for Him, in a different kind of way.  Once of these days, no one knows when, He's going to come back for us and take us into heaven with Him.  How exciting!  Is a lot of ways, if not every way possible, that's a lot cooler than a pair of rain boots.  Even if they don't match.

I hope that (even though the Christmas season is over) you remember the joy and excitement and happiness that Jesus brought with Him when He came to Earth, and you remember to stay alert and be ready for when He comes back.

He may come two days earlier than you think.  (:

<3 Warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment