Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Great Santa Debate (for those who don't have kids)

I've been reading a lot about parents (and one set in particular) debating over whether to have Santa Claus be a part of Christmas.  Like Mollie (the writer of the blog ^), my family left out cookies for the fat guy who really doesn't need them, had "From Santa" gifts under the tree, sprinkled oats and glitter on the yard for the reindeer (seriously, what person came up with the idea that reindeer liked glitter in their oats?), and put up Santa decorations.  But he wasn't a big deal at our house.  We only received 3 presents from him, symbolizing Jesus' three presents.  Last year, we didn't do Santa at all.

But what has having Santa in Christmas meant for me?  Well, when I was younger, he meant presents, but once I was in middle school, and to this day, he means more than that.  Think about it.  He sees you ALL THE TIME (1, that's creepy.  2, that's very creepy.), he gives you gifts, he laughs when he hears what you want for Christmas, he can fly, etc., etc., etc..  Guess who else is with you all the time, blesses you with gifts, and is ecstatic when you talk to Him?  Did the capital "H" give it away?

That's right, Santa is my parallel to God at Christmastime.  God sent His son to save us, and Santa sends us presents that keep us busy so our parents can go take much-needed naps.  Santa "sees us" all the time, and God has promised to never leave us, hear our prayers, and love us.  That's a lot less creepy than some old guy creeping on me.  Especially if he's using and Elf on the Shelf *shudder*.  And I bet sometimes when we ask for things from God He laughs at us.  I would laugh at me too.  Oh, and I have no doubt that God can fly WITHOUT magical flying deer that eat glitter.  Seriously, man, He can walk on water and change matter from one element to another.  He can do whatever He wants.

One more thing...

I typed "Satan" instead of "Santa" more times than I can count.  Well no, I said Santa 7 times, so that means I almost called him Satan 7 times.  Hmm...

Merry Christmas everybody and don't forget that *insert Christian Christmastime cliche here*... Jesus is the reason for the season!!

<333 Warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment