Monday, February 21, 2011

Language Alert!!

If you've ever hung out with me anywhere where I am surrounded by band kids or school friends (or anyone else who doesn't go to my church), you'll find out very soon that I have a zero-tolerance policy on cussing.  Not only is it extremely unflattering, but it's also unnecessary and unprofessional.  For anyone.  And my buddy Jesus isn't very fond of it either.  Multiple times in the Bible, it says how much God despises crude language.  Since the word "profane" (like in "profanity") means "outside the temple," God wants it nowhere near Him or His people.  Profanity includes cussing, sexual comments and jokes, using His Name in vain, gossiping, etc. 

For example:

James 1: 26 Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.

James 3: 9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God's likeness.10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring?12 My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

James 5: 12 Above all, my brothers and sisters, do not swear—not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. All you need to say is a simple "Yes" or "No." Otherwise you will be condemned.

Ephesians 4: 29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Ephesians 5: 4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

Psalm 19: 14 May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.


Psalm 141: 3 Set a guard over my mouth, Lord;
keep watch over the door of my lips.

4 Do not let my heart be drawn to what is evil
so that I take part in wicked deeds
along with those who are evildoers;
do not let me eat their delicacies.


Colossians 3: 8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.9 Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

Matthew 15: 10 Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand.11 What goes into someone's mouth does not defile them, but what comes out of their mouth, that is what defiles them."

2 Timothy 2: 16 Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly.

(all verses courtesy of YouVersion.com)  For more verses, look up "Bible verses about using profanity" on Google.  Proverbs is FULL of them!


So if you ever hear your friends - Christian or not! - cussing, tell them you don't want to hear that kind of language!  I know I've been persecuted because I hate cussing and tell people to stop using language around me.  It very well might happen to you, too, but be strong in your stand against all things not Christlike.  You will be rewarded in Heaven. Trust me, all the things you go through on Earth will melt away when you stand before the Throne and God thanks you for your work in His Name.  (:

Do you need help to stop cussing or using profanity in general?  It's really hard, trust me.  Start by praying about it and asking for God's help.  Then find an accountability partner who will help you along the way.  I don't "curse," but I do have words that keep me from cussing.  Weird stuff like "frapperdoodles," "good golly goldfish!," and so many other strange things that have no meaning.  I don't know if God thinks these are any more acceptable, but they keep me from conforming to the world (Romans 12:2).

A friend of mine found this video on what the Bible deems "bad language," and I think it really sums up all I'm trying to say.  Heads up: the speaker uses several four-lettered words to make his case.  Not suitable for anyone under the age of 13.



<3 Warrior

1 comment:

  1. So do you tell your secular friends not to use expletives when they're in your company? I have the same issues with profanity, but I've always been at a loss on how to deal with it when I'm with secular folks.

    ReplyDelete