Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Meaning of This Is My Rifle

Okay, so if you're into comedies and military movies, you probably think "This Is My Rifle" is referring to the movie Stripes, but since I've never seen that movie, I'm going to have to say it's not.  "This is my rifle" has been my motto for a couple weeks now and it's made such an impact on me.  It all began when my dad and I went to go see the cinema cast of the DCI semifinals this year.  My favorite group of the 15 that we saw were the Cavaliers.  Their show, "Mad World", was absolutely stunning.  For the drum break, the entire band excluding the tubas put down their horns and picked up rifles, producing what the color guard instructor next to me called a "guardgasm".  The guard and band did an amazing rifle routine while saying, "This is my rifle.  This one is mine.  This is my life." and so on and so forth.  Knowing absolutely nothing of the movie Stripes, I took their words into my heart and applied them to my own life as I had interpreted them.  To me, they weren't just saying it to say it.  To me, they weren't even talking about their rifle.  They were talking about their lives.  Their passions.  The reason they did what they did.  Band was their rifle.  From their passion, I have just begun to discover MY rifles.  Band is one of them.  God is another.  Friends are another as well.  My rifle is my life.  So welcome to This Is My Rifle.  Welcome to my life.

Link to "This is my rifle" guardgasm on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf38d4U3pTI&feature=related

2 comments:

  1. Dear Warrior, please take time out of your oh so busy schedule to write more :D Even though I've never met you, I enjoy reading your posts. I wish you would call me one day so we could talk for a gazillion hours about nothing. I also wish you would teach me how to play the piano with my left hand, even though I'm still pretty shaky with my right hand. I just love this post and I know if I met you in real life, we would be best friends. I'm not a stalker, I promise. But just remember, if we ever meet, we'll hang out for 8 hours a day for at least two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Warrior, I was wondering what 'This is my rifle' meant when you first told me to read it in church. I get it now and I love it. Gets me thinking about what my rifles are :)

    ReplyDelete